Friday, August 19, 2005

Many Kids and Coping with Clutter

Having a lot of kids automatically leads to having a lot of clutter. At least thats how it is in our house. Dont' get me wrong ... I love my kids ... its the clutter that stresses me out. Thank goodness I found the flylady website  http://www.flylady.net. She has so much practical advise about how to cope with clutter. I have been subscribed for several years now and constantly get all these reminders during the day to do the clean up routine or kill my "hot spots" or messy mounds growing around the house. She recommends working in 15 minute sessions so as not to burn out. A great idea indeed. I would
say that I have already accomplished so much with her guidance. I havent totally eliminated the clutter but I am getting there ! There is also a target zone for each day like say the dining room cabinet or the porch or under the bed or the bathroom cabinet. It somehow feels lighter when you know that all around the world there are thousands struggling to accomplish the same task. The best part is she always reminds us to do it in "baby steps" and not obsess or to "jump in where you are. " Perfect for me who can't promise to finish everything all at once. In short , no pressure.



Theres something about people like me with clutter...I keep a lot of things for sentimental reasons, might be useful one day, etc etc. The more you pressure us , the more we can't dispose of things. We have to be psychologically prepared to let go of things! Not many people understand this specially our husbands. But reading the flylady testimonials of others , I get totally inspired and get up, organize my things and eliminate my hot spots. There is so much satisfaction and freedom after I do! Once I have made the decision myself about parting with an item, i put it away either to trash or to my donation box. I just wish this feeling will come to me more often so I can finally see my clutter free dream home very soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Petunia,
I’ve been surfing on the net for some ideas about parenting forums . I did find some interesting articles about parenting forums . Then I ran across your post on this post. Interesting blog. I am always looking for new ideas about parenting, and enjoy reading about other peoples thoughts and experiences, so thanks for posting. I have a child with special needs so parenting is always a challenge - any and all ideas and tips help! So keep it up and I will be back again in the future.