Sunday, August 14, 2005

Homework & Lessons

So what do you do when your 10 year old child says "I forgot I have a big project due tomorrow!" and its 10:00pm Sunday night? First instinct would be to loose your cool then maybe do it for him? Tempting ... Instead I decided to teach him a lesson and make him do it himself. Of course it took a lot for me not to take over and get it over with. Who wants to miss an oppurtunity to maintain being in the 1st honors list ?

I watched as he struggled to finish his project and keep his eyes open. Sat beside him pretending to be busy doing something else. He would talk out loud looking for answers and I would throw him leading questions. He needed some pictures, I surfed the net for the images in his list to print. He needed to color his drawing, I pulled the colored pencils he needed out of the box and I also put them back in after he was done. I let him do the masterplan while beside him I was the helpful mom.


Did he learn his lesson ? At a little past 12 and way past his bedtime with blood shot eyes looking at me he says "Mom its done." I sure hope he learned about responsibility & better time management. I also hope he learned that mom is always there to support him in learning his lesson well.

No comments: