Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Guilty Parent

I watched all your school activities. I attended all the Parent Teacher Conferences. I was always active in the parent council. I helped you with all your homework and projects. I love you so much. I'm sorry if I cannot attend your big day at school this weekend. Mom has to go to her own school and I have exams.

As part of finding my independence, second childhood, whatever you want to call it,  I had decided to enroll back in school ( aside from going back to work part time). I love it ! I look forward to this one whole day every week. I have classmates who I have lunch break with, take down notes, listen to the teacher, I learn, carry a school bag... the works. Brings back my childhood and makes me feel young again specially since the classmates are mostly half my age. I enrolled in a course I always wanted to take before. Not that I regret what I took.  I just couldn't take them both. Comparing myself then and now, I'm more serious about studying since I always try to apply what I learn to real life. In short, I can now relate. Makes me want to suggest that students nowadays need 1 year work experience before they go off to college so they can better decide what they prefer to take. Isn't that more practical?


Downside of going back to school when you have kids is that they get curious about my grades and always ask my scores. As if wanting to verify if mom really is smarter than they are! The pressure of getting perfect is on all the time at least in my case.   The other big downside is the conflict with the kids  schedules. Like I've missed several of their school activities and to think I love attending their activities. Guilt overwhelms me whenever I cannot be there to see the big smile on their faces as they perform.
But hey, I've been in school for 2 years now and they survived. It is almost over in 3 weeks and I'm proud to say I also survived. I will soon have another feather in my cap and hopefully make a new career out of it. I recommend this to all moms out there who need to feel better about themselves. You can always start again after being a housewife and mom for many years. You are not abandoning your kids by finding and improving yourself again.  Before you know it, the days of the guilty parent are over and out comes a new and more productive you! Consider it an educational makeover...

No comments: